Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dzien Dobry!

Look I'm learning Polish!  Well...not really.  I have started using Rosetta Stone and have not completed the first lesson.  Dzien Dobry means "good day" pronounced jane dough-bray.  I am uncertain if I like the teaching style used by Rosetta Stone and if I am going to really learn the language from it. I really just want to be able to say a few phrases like "where is the bathroom?", "where is the hospital?", "do you speak English?", Hello, Goodbye, and "may I have some water please?".   I know I am going to have to able to communicate with my child so maybe I will add "are you hungry?",and "are you thirsty?". 

Sean has had a good laugh at my expense as I am trying to learn Polish.  I have expressed huge amounts of frustration at the computer screen over my poor language skills.  I feel like I am just mumbling and not speaking anything.  Maybe I will just take a photo dictionary with me!

So what has been going on with the adoption otherwise? We are getting ready for the second meeting with our social worker tomorrow and we are waiting on a few more documents to be sent to us.  This meeting with the social worker is getting us closer to having our home study complete. YAY!  I am much less stressed about this visit.  Probably because I know what to expect this time.  As I have said before I just want to get past the paper chase and have our dossier in Poland.  Now I am sure when that happens I will be complaining  that I just want to be matched with my child. Then after that I will just want to meet my child. Then I will want to be home with my child.  It is just a vicious cycle!!!!  

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish he didn't trust me so much"
--- Mother Teresa

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! They don't have Rosetta Stone for Amharic (Ethiopian) yet, so I made flashcards. I bought business card paper and made my own from my Lonely Planet phrasebook...I don't know if they have one for Polish or not but it was the best book in the world because it is meant for travellers - so it focuses on those kind of phrases....like where's the bathroom (shint a bet?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on starting the Polish! It is a very hard language but keep plugging away and it'll start to stick. There are also apps for iTouch (if you all have one) that we have to use when we are actually there- our "just in case" fallback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your homestudy meeting will go well. I agree it is so much easier after the first one when you know what to expect. I know exactly how you feel. When we were in the paperchase I kept hoping our dossier would get to Poland soon. Now that it has been 3 months since our dossier went to Poland I pray every day that we will get our referral soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Polish is Hard!!! I found thaT Pimsler is much better than Rosetta. Its great because you can take it anywhere. Good luck with your next visit. Hope your dosssier is ready soon!

    ReplyDelete